Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant.
This salad was inspired by a simple recipe shared on the Food Network. I decided to add my own twist and turn it into an easy yet sophisticated dish to impress. I love my vegetables fresh, crunchy and undercooked, that’s why I only cook them for exactly two minutes. You can cook them for longer if you prefer fully-cooked vegetables. In all cases, be ready with a bowl of ice cold water to drop them in and keep their vibrant colours.
- 250 gram broccoli - بروكلى
- 250 gram carrots - جزر
- 250 gram green beans - فاصوليا خضراء
- 1/2 cup red cabbage (thinly sliced) - كرنب أحمر
- 1/2 cup walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 1 drizzle honey (about 1.5 tablespoon) - عسل
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon honey - عسل
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Start by preparing your washed veggies. Cut the broccoli into small florets, slice the peeled carrots into sticks, and trim the green beans then cut in halves.
- Prepare a big pot of boiling water on the stove and a bowl with ice cold water on the side.
- Carefully drop the veggies in the boiling water. Leave to cook for 2 minutes, (or more if you prefer), then drain, rinse with fresh water and place in the ice bowl. (You can also cook each veggie on its own if you prefer to have one cooked longer than the other.)
- Drain and dry the veggies on a clean kitchen towel to avoid having a wet salad.
- Heat a small pan and add walnuts. Shake the pan to roast the walnuts for a minute then add a drizzle of honey on the walnuts. Keep stirring using a wooden spoon until all walnuts are nicely coated and toasted. This will not take more than another minute. Transfer walnuts to a plate covered with parchment paper to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small jar, close it firmly and shake to mix.
- Transfer cooked and dry veggies to a bowl. Add thinly sliced red cabbage. Pour dressing over the salad and mix gently. Taste to adjust salt and pepper if needed, then scatter the honey-glazed walnuts on top. Serve at room temperature.
Spinach & Carrot Brown Rice Medley
From 9 months. Like most leafy greens, most doctors allow spinach from 9 months. Spinach is a...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Egga is the classic Egyptian Egg Cake. It is baked in the oven until puffed and cooked through....
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!