Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant.
This salad was inspired by a simple recipe shared on the Food Network. I decided to add my own twist and turn it into an easy yet sophisticated dish to impress. I love my vegetables fresh, crunchy and undercooked, that’s why I only cook them for exactly two minutes. You can cook them for longer if you prefer fully-cooked vegetables. In all cases, be ready with a bowl of ice cold water to drop them in and keep their vibrant colours.
- 250 gram broccoli - بروكلى
- 250 gram carrots - جزر
- 250 gram green beans - فاصوليا خضراء
- 1/2 cup red cabbage (thinly sliced) - كرنب أحمر
- 1/2 cup walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 1 drizzle honey (about 1.5 tablespoon) - عسل
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon honey - عسل
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Start by preparing your washed veggies. Cut the broccoli into small florets, slice the peeled carrots into sticks, and trim the green beans then cut in halves.
- Prepare a big pot of boiling water on the stove and a bowl with ice cold water on the side.
- Carefully drop the veggies in the boiling water. Leave to cook for 2 minutes, (or more if you prefer), then drain, rinse with fresh water and place in the ice bowl. (You can also cook each veggie on its own if you prefer to have one cooked longer than the other.)
- Drain and dry the veggies on a clean kitchen towel to avoid having a wet salad.
- Heat a small pan and add walnuts. Shake the pan to roast the walnuts for a minute then add a drizzle of honey on the walnuts. Keep stirring using a wooden spoon until all walnuts are nicely coated and toasted. This will not take more than another minute. Transfer walnuts to a plate covered with parchment paper to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small jar, close it firmly and shake to mix.
- Transfer cooked and dry veggies to a bowl. Add thinly sliced red cabbage. Pour dressing over the salad and mix gently. Taste to adjust salt and pepper if needed, then scatter the honey-glazed walnuts on top. Serve at room temperature.
Fruit & Oats Cinnamon Nibbling Cake
From 12 months. Everyone loves cake. It is comforting, sweet and soft to the taste. Toddlers at...
Entertaining Labna with Debs
الوصفة بالعربي This 2-ingredient appetizer is by far the easiest finger food you can...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!
Broccoli and Avocado Soup
Creamy, refreshing and so easy to prepare, the Broccoli and Avocado Soup is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It will be your new favourite soup.
Asian Quinoa Salad
This salad is so flavourful and full of nutrient-dense ingredients. Quinoa is a great substitute for rice and is a great option for people with diabetes. Quinoa tends to be bland on its own, however adding it to a salad makes it more tasty and exciting. This salad can be a good introduction to quinoa, […]