Light Yoghurt & Freekeh Soup
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
This light yoghurt & freekeh soup reminds me of my childhood. (That one and the Harira Soup). I remember how my family used to gather around it in Ramadan while listening to the radio riddle at Iftar. Until today it still warms my heart with its creaminess and smooth taste and I cannot enjoy Ramadan without having it at least 5 times – in my home, at my sister’s or my mum’s. We take turns on making it! While I put so much passion to perfect it, I never enjoy my own like I do theirs!
- 2 small pack yoghurt (about 220 grams) - زبادي
- 1 egg - بيضة
- 2 tablespoon butter (OR olive oil) - زبدة
- 3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1 onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 2 stem celery (finely chopped including leaves) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh - فريك
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (for garnish) - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
Step by step
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent (about 7 minutes) then add the garlic, celery and mastic along with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the freekeh, then add hot chicken broth. As soon as it boils, put the heat down, cover and let it simmer until freekeh is cooked (about 20 minutes).
- In the meantime, stir egg with yoghurt until smooth and well integrated.
- Before adding the yoghurt mixture to the soup, add a little hot soup to the yoghurt mix to warm it. This is done mainly to avoid the room temperature yoghurt from splitting when hit with the hot soup. When you feel the yoghurt has warmed, add it confidently to the rest of the soup.
- Let it simmer for another 3 minutes until the egg cooks. Sprinkle some dry mint and serve hot.
Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
It's time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness...
Wholewheat & Oats Fruity Pancakes
These nutritious wholewheat pancakes with oats and fruits are made delicious with added bananas...
The Rice-Meatball Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي Turn CairoCooking's Baked Rice Meatballs into an exciting...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!