Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
By yasmine • May 13, 2020
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite.
The tomato sauce suggested is not a must here – its just an added flavour and texture if you want to impress in a gathering.
The stuffing and the liquid released from chicken while cooking is enough to keep it nice and moist. It also helps the chicken remain juicy and tender if you reheat it the next day.
- 5 piece chicken breast fillet (about 1kg) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon oregano (or thyme) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1 small onion (diced) - بصلة
- 2 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 400 gram spinach - سبانخ
- 100 gram buffalo mozzarella (or shredded mozzarella or cheddar) - جبنة موزاريلا جاموسي
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 3 tomatoes (peeled & diced) - طماطم
- 4 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
Step by step
- First use a sharp knife to cut an incision horizentally into the thicker area of the fillets.
- Place the cut fillets in a bowl & marinate with garlic powder, oregano, lime zest, salt & pepper. Make sure to rub the inside of the chicken as well. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. Pan-fry the chicken breasts on both sides on medium/high heat just to get some color on them (about 7-8 minutes). Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil (if needed) and fry the diced onion for a couple of minutes before adding the minced garlic.
- Add spinach, nutmeg and salt & pepper. Stir all together for a couple of minutes. Take it off the heat. Stir in the mozzarella while the spinach is still hot.
- Use your hand to hold the opening of the chicken, and a tablespoon to stuff the chicken with the spinach mozzarella mix (about 3 full tablespoons for each chicken fillet).
- Organize chicken fillets in oven tray (that you can use to serve too), cover with foil, and place it in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes until cooked through. Uncover the foil half way through.
- In the meantime, you can prepare a tomato sauce for the chicken. Heat olive oil, and pan fry garlic for a couple of minutes (make sure it doesn't darken).
- Tip in the diced tomatoes with all the juices. Season with salt & pepper and bring it to a boil.
- Lower heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Base the cooked chicken with its own juices and serve it hot in its oven tray. You can squeeze some lime juice on it or drizzle the tomato sauce.
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be...
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and...
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach
This White Beans with Zucchini and Spinach recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! White beans cooked in broth, garlic and lime juice make for one tasty side dish. Perfect for mid-week meals and even cold for breakfast!