Traditional Fattoush Salad
By shahdan • April 17, 2019
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible.
You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as green or red onions and pomegranate seeds or even roasted eggplant cubes.
- 1 large shamy bread - خبز شامي
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large lettuce (chopped) - خس
- 3-4 medium cucumber (sliced into medium cubes) - خيار
- 3-4 medium tomatoes (sliced into medium cubes) - طماطم
- 4 small radish (sliced into medium cubes) - فجل
- handful parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- handful leaves mint (chopped) - نعناع
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 3 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 3 large lime (or 1 1/2 lemon) - ليمون بلدي
- 1 teaspoon sumac - سماق
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint - نعناع مجفف/ ناشف
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - ملح
- pinch black pepper - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Preheat toaster oven to 180C. Then use scissors to cut bread into small rectangles. Place on an ovenproof dish or tray and sprinkle with sumac & garlic powder, then drizzle olive oil. Use your hands to mix in the flavor and place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes or until bread is golden and crispy. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, place sliced lettuce in a large bowl. Add sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, parsley and mint.
- Mix all salad dressing ingredients in a small jar.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix. Transfer salad to serving bowl. Arrange crispy bread on top. Sprinkle more sumac to garnish and serve.
Vietnamese Spring Vegetables Soft Rolls
This is the ultimate summer appetiser! Full of crunch and freshness and oh so good for you. You can...
Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own...
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]