Traditional Foul BelKhalta
By shahdan • October 23, 2015
This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we find much tastier than the ready-made options. It is a quick fix for breakfast or dinner if you have it prepared in advance and covered in the fridge.
This recipe uses 4 cups of cooked beans (see simple Foul Medammes recipe here). You may use 2 cans of beans instead, although we strongly recommend the homemade version.
It’s time to give homemade foul a chance!
- 4 cup fava beans (cooked) - فول مدمس
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a drizzle at the end) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large tomato (chopped) - طماطم
- 2 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 medium spring onion (optional) - بصلة خضراء
Step by step
- In a pot, drizzle oil and cook onions on medium heat (stirring occasionally) until soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook them with the onions for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked fava beans, then lower the heat and leave them to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, add the cumin, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- When the beans are hot and bubbly, add the tahini.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the beans until smooth (if that's the consistency you prefer).
- Serve in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil, a little extra cumin, and some chopped green onions for an extra kick.
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner...
Date & Almond Balls
These date & almond balls are a perfect sweet snack to when sugar rush strikes! It is also the...
These Truffle Potatoes are so easy to prepare yet have bangs of flavor and yumminess. It is a...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Spiced Potato & Peas
This spiced potato and peas recipe is the perfect side dish for any protein. It is filling, heartwarming and deliciously spiced, your family and friends will definitely be taking seconds.
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]