Wholesome Black-Eyed Pea Salad
By shahdan • September 22, 2016
It’s time to give black-eyed peas a chance since it is creamy, nutritious and full of goodness and absolutely delicious. Black- eyed peas make great stews with tomato sauce as well as comforting salads like this simple lunchbox favorite.
As wholesome as it is, it is also much cheaper than more sophisticated salad ingredients like quinoa!
You can use this recipe as a guide & tailor it to your own liking, adding all your kids’ favourite ingredients such as cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives…etc.
You need to soak the black-eyed peas for a few hours (preferably overnight) to help them cook quicker.
- 1.5 cup black-eyed peas (about 250g - soaked in water) - لوبيا
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 1/2 large yellow pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 large red pepper (cut into small cubes) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 stem spring onion (finely chopped) - بصلة خضراء
- 3 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes (thinly sliced + 1 tbsp of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/2 bunch parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - زيت الزيتون بكر
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 2 large lime - ليمون بلدي
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
Step by step
- Drain soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. In a pot, cover them with water and leave them to cook on medium/high heat for 20-30 minutes or until soft from inside yet still firm.
- In the mean time, prepare and chop all your other ingredients.
- When the black-eyed peas are cooked, drain water and rinse with fresh water again. Stir in the dressing ingredients and sundried tomato oil and leave to cool.
- As the black-eyed peas reach room temperature, add all the chopped veggies and sundried tomatoes. Toss together, adjust seasoning and store in a sealed box in the fridge. This salad tastes even better the following day! It can stay up to 3 days in the fridge.
Turmeric Basmati Rice
Yellow turmeric rice is the perfect companion to all curry dishes! I also like to serve it with...
Cucumber & Chickpea Herb Salad
Hearty and delicious, this easy-to-put-together Cucumber & Chickpea Salad will be your new...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt...
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
Talk about a pick me up snack or a breakfast cookie that keeps you full and satisfies your sugar tooth, this chocolate peanut butter rice cake is what you mean! Crispy, with a creamy naturally sweetened center (banana-sweetened!) and a chocolate cover with a sprinkle of sea salt…delicious and comforting is an understatement. […]
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.