Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes
By yasmine • February 15, 2022
The combination of deep Asian flavours and tender meat makes this Slow-Cooked Asian Beef Cubes dish irresistible. With little hands-on time, this dish may take a long time on the stove but the result is definitely worth it. Wether you decide to serve it to your kids or guests – the dish will surely impress. Serve it next to Basmati rice or rice noodles with veggies.
Also, you might consider adding pumpkin or sweet potato cubes by pan-frying them separately and adding them to the meat 45 minutes before its done.
Check the meat cooking tips on this page as well.
- 1 kg beef cubes - لحم كباب حلة
- 4 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (or olive oil) - زيت السمسم
- 1 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 4 stem spring onion (finely chopped - keep dark green parts for garnish) - بصلة خضراء
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated) - جنزبيل
- 2-3 bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 2.5-3 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- 1/2 cup fish sauce - صوص السمك التايلاندي
Step by step
- Marinate the beef cubes with minced garlic, vinegar and black pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
- Before cooking the meat, make sure it is at room temperature for 20 minutes before. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan, slowly add beef cubes and pan fry on medium to high heat. Don't overcrowd the pan to allow each beed cube to get the necessary color.
- Once you have the right color on the meat, set it aside and use the same pan to heat another tablespoon of oil. Add spring onions, ginger and bay leaf.
- Stir the onions for a couple of minutes until they can get some color (about 5 minutes). Stir in the date molasses and fish sauce.
- Add 2.5 cups of broth, stir to combine and bring it to a boil.
- Add the meat back with all its juices. Once the broth is still boiling, lower heat and cover.
- Check on the meat after 1 hour - if the water has reduced significantly add more hot broth (about 1/2 cup).
- Check again after 30 minutes, if the meat is easily cutting then it is ready. The sauce would have halved and thickened too. Otherwise give it another 20-30 minutes until cooked through and the meat is tender and easily sliced.
- Let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with the spring onions and fresh coriander leaves. Serve with rice or over noodles.
Balsamic glaze is a thick balsamic vinegar reduction that is great for salads, grilled veggies,...
El-Mouled Gingerbread Cookies
When a classic christmassy recipe meets a very authentic presentation..Just the perfect way to...
Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish...
Leave a comment