Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
By yasmine • March 7, 2021
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh so delicious!
Prepare it for yourself, for your family or for a gathering as a main dish, and it will always going to be remembered.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or fresh marjoram - optional) - زعتر
- 500-600g chicken livers - كبد الدجاج
- 1 teaspoon paprika - بابريكا / فلفل أحمر
- 1 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 large tomato (diced) - طماطم
- 5 cup spinach (spinach leaves only, OR 2 packs of frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 4 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- 2 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (cooked) - حمص
- pomegranate seeds (to decorate) - بذور رمان
Step by step
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add diced onions and pan-fry them on medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and thyme and stir until onions are translucent. You can add child if you like.
- On medium/high heat, add pieces of liver without overcrowding the pan.
- Flip the liver to get some color. Sprinkle paprika, all spice, salt & pepper. Then lower heat and cover to allow liver to cook through and release some water.
- Uncover after 5 minutes to add diced tomatoes and spinach. Press spinach leaves down, season with salt & pepper, and cover again.
- After another 8-10 minutes, uncover to find the wilted spinach cooked tomatoes. Sprinkle finely chopped parsley leaves and cooked chickpeas and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Drizzle pomegranate molasses, lime juice and adjust seasoning. Let it cook on low heat for another 3 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Decorate with some fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds or raisins & serve it warm next to brown rice or freekeh for a full hearty meal.
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe...
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Dried Fruits Crumble
Here is a Dried Fruits Crumble that can be served as dessert with ice cream, a brunch dish, a winter warmer or an addition to your yoghurt. It is infused with tea, preferably Earl Grey, and the nutty crumble topping spiced with cinnamon. It is a great dish for Ramadan Sohour as well where we […]
Green Falafel Omelette
Falafel Omelette is an easy, nutritious and delicious breakfast/ brunch idea for those who want a filling healthy meal without the bread. This is a childhood recipe and it’s so close to my heart because I learned it from my grandmother. I use homemade Falafel Dough (Ta3meyya) that I prepare and freeze in batches because I […]
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]