Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
By Shewekar Elgharably • July 19, 2016
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a main dish for lunch or dinner or as part of a lavish weekend brunch for family or friends.
The tenderness of the livers combined with the pomegranate sweetness will remind you of your favorite Lebanese restaurant. Roll up your sleeves, toast your Baladi or Shami bread and make sure to dig in with all your heart!
- 1 kg chicken livers (large cuts) - كبد الدجاج
- vinegar (for washing livers) - خل
- salt (for washing livers) - ملح
- 1 tablespoon ghee (OR 2 tablespoons olive oil) - سمن بلدي
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 yellow pepper (thinly sliced) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 red pepper (thinly sliced) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3-4 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash chicken livers well with salted water and vinegar. Drain well.
- In a medium pan, melt ghee or heat olive oil and fry chicken livers on all sides until browned (about 3 minutes). Make sure the oil is hot, in order to prevent the liver from releasing its water (which doesn't allow it to fry). If it does release water, try to discard it.
- Add thinly sliced onions and colored peppers and sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir in crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Then add pomegranate molasses and leave it to cook for 10 more minutes to thicken. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm. You can serve it on a bed of seasoned yoghurt.
Light One-Pot Okra
This is the vegan version of my mother's 'nayy fe nayy bamia'. While she uses stock, I like to...
Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
I don't find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.